It’s nothing but an abnormal exit of tissue or organ ( such as intestine, omentum, etc) through the wall of the cavity in which it normally resides. A hernia occurs when the inside layers of the abdominal wall weaken and then bulge or tear. This, in turn, can cause a loop of intestine or abdominal tissue to slip into the sac, causing severe pain and other potentially serious health problems.
Hernias by themselves may or may not produce symptoms as they are asymptomatic and can cause slight to severe pain.
What are the types of Hernia?
- GROIN HERNIA
- Naval hernia (Umbilical / Para umbilical Hernia)
- Post-surgery hernia (Incisional hernia)
- Upper abdomen hernia (Epigastic hernia) :
- Spigelian hernia:
What are the complications of Hernia?
What are the different surgeries available for hernia?
There is tremendous evolution in the surgery of hernia. It can be done by Open approach with or without mesh application or second approach which is gaining more popularity now days is – Laparoscopy Surgery.
What are the advantages of laparoscopic hernia surgery?
1.Minimal pain and patients are able to return to work more quickly as compared to open surgery.
- Heals faster. Early return to work and normal activities is possible.
- If it’s a recurrent hernia then laparoscopic techniques are easier.
- It is possible to check for and repair a second hernia on the opposite side at the time of the operation.
Dr. Abhijit B. Gotkhinde is one of the qualified basic & advanced Laparoscopic and minimal access surgeons in the city. He believes in delivering the most authentic and top-class services. He has extensive experience in GI & Colorectal surgeries.